Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: A7 enclosures

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jack6428's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2004
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I just got a reply on my Monster cable email and noticed that the sender (Altec Fan) had a photo of what looked like custom enclosures for A7 stuff.

    I have custom enclosures that I built in 1974. They have an 811B horn, a 416-8A woofer, a 421-8H II woofer, and an N801-8A 800Hz crossover. They are constructed of 1.5 inch plywood and are heavily reinforced. They have two 4 inch open port holes in the front baffle (no tube inserts) They have the two woofer mounting flanges on the same plane as the horn flange.

    Does anyone know if having the flanges all in line on the same plane is correct or should they be offset?

    Are the port holes of appropriate size and should I have tubes inserted to a specific depth?

    Does anyone know where I can buy empty A7 enclosures or where I can get dimensions so I can build them?

    Sorry for writing all these emails today. I realize I am new and have not exactly earned admission to your club. I used to really be into this stuff and am beginning to get re-energized as I contemplate upgrading my system and possibly integrating my two existing speakers with others to form a home theater system.

    Thanks again for your patiance,

    Jack

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Jack,

    You must be referring to the photo at the left of the Altec Lansing Model 19! These aren't custom, they are the largest home speaker that Altec produced. This is a later ferrite example with 416-8C woofers, 902-8A compression drivers and 811B horns. The crossover is unique to the 19s and probably the major reason why they sound the way they do. They were available in both walnut and oak cabinetry. This pair is in my living room. To maintain a sense of balance (and an Alnico comparison) I have a pair of A7-500s in the family room at the other end of the house. These are loaded with 416-8B woofers, 802-8D compression drivers and 511B horns. The crossovers are N501-8A.

    Sometimes too much is just right! forums

    Later . . .

  3. #3
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Jack,

    Firstly, you are not a bother by posting all your questions. I have posted many thoughts and questions and the wonderful folk on this forum just love to help. I too bought the A-7 kits in 1974, consisting of the 416-8A, 811B, and N802-8a x-over. I still have the original manual sent with the kits. (My dad was an Altec dealer at that time) With these components installed in the A-7 cabinet, the booklet shows the voice coils in the same vertical plane. If you want a set of FREE homemade cabinets, I have a mint condition set. Trouble is, the shipping. Where are you?? As I said, you can have these for free if you cover shipping. If you wish to build a pair, the plans are available on this sight somewhere. Regards, Lee Batchelor. (I'm about 75 miles east of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.)

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Jack,

    Here is more information for you:

    Sound Practices web site

    This document is about phasing:

    Phasing

    This one is about A7s in general:

    A7 article

    Enjoy!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jack6428's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2004
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi acre,

    You generousity is well taken.

    I will be in Detroit in August. Can you wait until then?

    I also made my Altec enclosures and would treat these with special attitude as woodworker.

    Please email me at [email protected]

    Jack

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi acre,

    I'm about 15 miles east of Vancouver. If Jack doesn't want the cabinets, I do. My set of 828 cabs are in rough shape and rather than try and fix them up, maybe new cabinets are in order.

    Let me know, shipping charges are no problem

    Thanks

    Cal

  7. #7
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Cal,

    I e-mailed Jack with the info re shipping etc.. I'll let you know what his intentions are. Thanks for the interest. If he's a no go, I'll be in touch. Stay well....Lee

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you are in Canada shipping to Canada, Tiger Courier is real cheap. I shipped a set of Khorns quite a distance (I don't recall the exact city but it was at least 2000 miles) from Vancouver for less than $150.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi acre,

    Have you and Jack got things figured out about the cabinets? Cause it's mid July and I thought I better get this in before it might be too late.

    Cal

  10. #10
    Inactive Member gds04107's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2004
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jack are you still looking for a pair of A7 enclosures ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.